Hollywood film star Maureen O'Hara grew up at 32 Upper Beechwood Avenue in Ranelagh. She always dreamed of being on the Silver Screen, and studied at the Abbey Theatre School, as well as performing with the Bernadette Players on Richmond Hill in nearby Rathmines.
She got her 'big break' in 1939, when she appeared opposite her mentor Charles Laughton in The Hunchback of Notre Dame, and is known for her roles in classic movies including The Quiet Man, Jamaica Inn, Miracle on 34th Street, and Rio Grande. As Irish Times critic Donald Clarke noted 'with her red hair and green eyes, she is the only thing more luminous than the painted backdrops in The Quiet Man'.
Although surprisingly never nominated for an Oscar, The Academy rectified the situation in 2014 (a year before her death at age 95), when she was granted an honorary award. She shares the distinction of having received an Honorary Oscar for a career in acting without having been previously nominated with just one other person - the great Myrna Loy.
The Maureen O'Hara Room
Named after Hollywood (and Ranelagh) Legend Maureen O'Hara, and located on the First Floor at the front of the building, the Maureen O'Hara Room is as glamorous as its namesake. With its high ceilings, period coving and two large windows overlooking Ranelagh Road, it is spacious and comfortably appointed - perfect for those who appreciate a little extra space.
The comfortable King Size Bed is made up with luxurious 100% cotton, 400 thread count Hotel Quality Bed Linen, and there is a separate Lounge Area with two stylish armchairs to relax in. The Workstation is equipped with a USB Charging Port and there is FREE Wifi to ensure that you can stay connected whilst you are away from home. The Room features a Flat Screen Television with a selection of Irish and UK TV Channels to keep you entertained, as well as a Tea Station with Mini Fridge, Kettle and Nespresso Machine. The tastefully decorated En Suite Shower Room has a Shower, WC and Wash Hand Basin.
To make sure you enjoy a warm Irish welcome, you'll find a selection of the very best Irish products to welcome you when you arrive - bottles of Ballygowan Water on your beside table, a Butler's Irish Chocolate on each pillow, The Handmade Soap Company's natural products in the bathroom, as well as a selection of Nespresso Pods and Gourmet Irish Teas in the tea and coffee station.
(Please note that there are no cooking facilities - but there ARE lots of fantastic restaurants and coffee shops nearby. Check out some of our favourite place to eat here).
- Double Bedroom including Separate Lounge Area (265 sq ft)
- En Suite Shower Room with WC & Hand Basin (55 sq ft)
- King Size Double Bed (5' wide)
- Luxurious 100% Cotton 400 Thread Count Hotel Quality Bed Linen
- Flat Screen TV with Selection of Irish & UK Channels
- Work Station with USB Charging Port
- Tea & Coffee Making Facilities (including Nespresso Machine)
- Mini Fridge
- Complimentary The Handmade Soap Company Shower Gel, Shampoo and Hand Soap
- Complimentary Ballygowan Irish Spring Water
- Complimentary Nespresso Pods and Java Republic SpecialityTeas
- Iron & Ironing Board
- Hair Dryer
- Luggage Store
- Smartlocks - Keyless Entry
- Late Check-In Available
- FREE Wifi
- FREE On-Street Parking at Weekends and Evenings (Pay & Display Daytime Monday - Friday)
- Sleeps 2
- Refurbished in March 2016